Founding partner of Paquette & Associates Attorneys Inc. located in Kirkland, Quebec, Me Jean-René Paquette practices law and manages a team of legal experts focused on solving problems.
Me Paquette's law practice provides legal advice in the areas of distribution, commercial, corporate and labour law. He has a vast experience in corporate law, acting often as head counsel in corporate deals such as mergers, acquisition and refinancing. Known for his efficiency, he is appreciated for his aptitude in closing the deal.
Me Paquette was recently quoted as the legal expert in an Oxford Press published title, "You're Hired. Now What? An Immigrant's Guide to Success in Canada" by Lynda Goldman.
An accomplished negotiator and veteran entrepreneur, Me Paquette is the current President of the West Island Chamber of Commerce.
Me Paquette has recently worked on the following mandates:
- Drafting, negotiation and closing of a distribution agreement in the field of aerospace, valued at 236 million CAD;
- Litigation between shareholders, including fraud lawsuit of over 600K and shares buyback with penalty of 50%;
- Sale of assets of a distribution corporation at 11 times the benefits and fiscal planning which allowed hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes savings;
- Partner share buyout and sale of equity stake to Desjardins Capital Croissance;
- Purchase of shares of a transport company in four weeks with primary and subordinate financing;
- Representation of and counsel to one of Quebec and Ontario’s biggest general contractor in regards to dispute resolution before litigation; drafting of a contract, filing of securities and construction litigation;
- Implementation of a fiscal memo, creation of 3 companies, 3 rollovers, inclusion of 3 new shareholders, creation of 2 Trusts and shares buyback for cancellation;
- Drafting of a Shareholders’ Agreement with creation of a stock option plan for key employees;
- Negotiation of a seven-year commercial lease for 114,000 ft2 with option for adding-on 30,000 ft2;
Areas Of Expertise
- Business law
- Transactional law
- Labour law
- Civil law - contracts
- Relations with Shareholders
- Université de Montréal, LL.B. 2002
Professional Affiliations & Activities
- Québec Bar Association;
- West-Island Community Shares (Member of the Board)
- Carrefour jeunesse-emploi de l’Ouest-de-l’Île (Member of the Board)
- West Island of Montreal Chamber of Commerce (V-P Legal Affairs)
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Saint-Laurent – Mount Royal
- PME MTL West-Island (Member of the Board)
- Real estate law teacher at John Abbott College